Tuesday, April 3, 2018

April 3 IFJM Fra Angelico

Quote of the day

Everything that needs to be said has already been said.


So I am continuing with my sketches of Fra Angelico's painting of the Crucifixion. What can I add that has already been said about this painting? Here's are my questions. How are these characters making order and meaning out of this heartbreaking moment of the Christ Story? The notion of making order out of life's chaos is an abstract one and a highly subjective task. Their mysterious faces  pull me into the painting as I try to make sense of the mystery. And that is a good thing.



Perhaps the  girl on the left wants to say  "Isn't it is time to get off your high horses?" Or is the addition of horses representing respect. What do you think?



This time I tried painting using gouache instead of water color. These are all first drafts with a permanent marker. I know that the characters may look a bit wonky but I like the fresh quality.


IZZY 2018

Just a little bit about the IFJM. If you would like to know more, please visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love all comments.