Wednesday, April 18, 2018

April 18 IFJM The Baptism of Christ

Sketching Verrocchio Today


My sketch was fun to draw  I can see that I didn’t have John the Baptist leaning enough inwards. But I do like the way his wrap turned out.  I used a light pencil to get the proportions correct before diving in with the black pen. The pencil really helped. I know I was going to try to give up on the pencil, but with these later period pieces, I feel it is a must to try and get the proportions correct. 


The Baptism of Christ
By Adrea del Verrocchio
with help from his student Leonardo da Vinci
circa 1472-1475
On loan from the Uffizi Museum in Italy



Leonardo da Vinci was in his early 20’s when asked to help paint this one. He is thought to have worked on the back ground landscape, the trees and the young boy on the far left of the painting.  The boys pose was usual for paintings during this period but will be seen more as Leonardo continues to blossom into a master painter.




Meanwhile, the f RSVP for the Gala Opening are coming in!  The excitement is building! Cindy is working on a special design for my outfit. I have no idea what she is up to. We plan to meet early next week. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Love all comments.