Monday, April 2, 2018

April 2 Day Two of IFJM aka International Fake Journal Month


Fra Angelico's Crucifixion
cicra 1420-1423AD



 Even though I have so much to do,  I just had to sit back and appreciate this painting for over an hour. The photo never does the actual painting justice. The real thing transports me back into a timeless moment where the art was born. So many words came to mind as I started taking notes. Death, pain, suffering, compassion, drama, grief, motherhood, heaven, angels, mercy, ego, horses, roman soldiers, symbolism etc. etc. After my stare fest I got to researching. One interesting tidbit is that no one knows for certain who painted this painting. In 1988, however, Luciano Bellosi, an Italian art Critique argued and everyone seems to have agreed that it is Fra Angelica's work. Read more on the link below.

 https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/437007 

Fra Angelico was a Dominican Monk, he was also called Guido di Pietro or Fra Giovanni or Beato. The numerous aliases make for interesting reading and lots of detective work. I am forever thankful to the countless hours spent by so many Art Historians who manage to piece together the past.

Below I have sketched the left side grouping in my sketch book . I used watercolors for this one.





Below is the left side


The character on the right looking up at the crucifixion of Jesus is called Longinus. He is considered the unnamed soldier who pierced Jesus's side with a lance so that he could end his suffering. A true act of Mercy.  I am struck by the compassion and full range of other emotions found on their faces.  


These drawings are all just first passes with my sharpie. My goal is to capture the facial expressions that tell the story. 
Izzy 2018

Just a little bit about the IFJM. If you would like to know more, please visit.
http://officialinternationalfakejournalblog.blogspot.com/
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love all comments.