Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Sketch Journal Practice

My latest project is to fill up my sketch book with daily gouache paintings. I have taken notes on the back of each one evaluating the positive and negatives. 



This one is from a trip to the Grand Tetons in 2018



This one is inspired by an advent Calendar illustrated by Angela Hardin



 

 This one is from a photograph of my trip to Utah in 2022. The rock face was challenging but it was fun to do and I am eager to try it again.



This is an on-line video demo from Jess Chung.  I picked up a number of tips about using gouache with her.



This one was purely out of my imagination. It was fun to do and I am going to more intuitive landscapes in the future. It was quite relaxing. I am slowing getting better at making trees. 





Alex and I saw a varied thrush from on our bird feeder yesterday.  I did an illustrative look with these. So I wasn't going to anything too realistic. I love the way they turned out. I think I have an emerging illustrative style. Which is exciting because I can keep things simple and add more expression to my work. Justin Donaldson is always taking about communication and how our paintings can communicate a mood, a moment, something beautiful, anything we want. I am beginning to understand what he is taking about.  I hope that by the end of the month I will be able to identify a style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love all comments.