Friday, April 1, 2022

30 Day Flower Challenge Day 1

 


Here is a morning glory.The first of what I hope to be many flowers for the month of April. 

Family Convolvulaceae
It is a funnel flower with a star like pattern
made up of 5 united petals
5 separate sepals
The leaves alternate
The ovary superior
There are over 1,600 varieties world wide.

 Growing up in Maryland, my mother had morning glories just next to the railing of our  front porch. They trailed all the way up white string to the top of the porch providing the perfect amount of dappled shade. She shared with us her fascination for their opening in the morning and closing at night. Th morning shade buffered the hot easter sun and the closing at night allowed for the last rays to touch our faces.  She took great pleasure showing them to all of  her five children and even to the neighbors who passed by.  We in turn were quite proud of the display as well.

I can still remember standing in the dappled sun just behind the backdrop of open flowers. It was morning and my mom was having her very hot strong coffee and admiring this plant. I would look at each bud and watch the way it tangled itself around the string. They were plentiful. Audacious even.

When I moved to the Seattle area, I was told they were weeds. It's so wet and lush here that it is true what they say. I see them growing on the side of the road and on top of other plants. I have even gotten rid of a few vines myself. But secretly I want to grow them again, Have them vine up my back porch to remind me of this precious childhood memory. 

I have many memories of hanging out on that front porch. It faced South and I would see  rolling hills beyond the single row of houses that stood opposite our street. We grew mint on one end of the porch and had a rose bushes as well.  My brothers Luke and Steve loved plants as much as I did. Steve even earned a degree in botany. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love all comments.