Sunday, April 2, 2017

Bandurria Bird

International Fake Journal Month with Roz Stendahl
About Zoey the Sculptor from Zeattle
Apri 2, 2017 8:35 am

I thought you might like to know how I make these sculptures! 

Step one: Cut your pieces! 

I used a water-jet metal cutting machine.



Step two: Paint  

a) The yellow, orange and red pieces  were primed and then painted Valspar® Anti-Rust Armor Enamel Spray Paint. This stuff really lasts!

b)The gray piece is brushed aluminum  left natural

c) The dark metal was darkened using a blow torch and bees wax. Yes this really works!


Step three: Weld. 

(Proceed with caution! By all means take a course!)


This one is 20 in x 42 in with a 48in round base of black marble.


This sculpture is tailored after the Bandurria Bird which is a type of Black-Faced Ibis found only in South America. I finished this commission back in 2010 during my first trip to Chile. I fell in love with the bird so when I was asked by the Le Reve Hotel in Santiago to make a sculpture in their courtyard, I was thrilled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love all comments.